We are a congregation of priests and brothers who live in community in order to preach the Good News of plentiful redemption.
We were founded in 1732 in a village called Scala on the Amalfi Coast, Southern Italy by St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori. He was shocked by the material and spiritual neglect of the local people, and so resolved to minister to them and other ‘most abandoned souls.’
From these humble beginnings, the Redemptorists spread throughout Europe to every continent. Today more than 5,000 Redemptorists minister in nearly 80 countries worldwide.
In Ireland, the Redemptorists came first to Limerick in 1852. Other foundations soon followed in Dundalk (1874) and Clonard (1896). Today, Irish Redemptorists minister in Limerick, Dundalk, Belfast, Galway, Dublin and Cork, as well as overseas in Brazil, the Philippines, Mozambique, Rome, and Siberia.